This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Information for young persons turning 16 years old!



This information has been prepared with the help of the Patients Participation Group (PPG) at Framfield House Surgery with input from local young people.   


If you are going away from home to university or further education

Most universities provide a student health service linked to local surgeries that gives you the access to a similar range of services to those you can find at Framfield House. 

If your university or other educational institution doesn’t have a student health service, you are encouraged to register with a local GP practice.  You can find your nearest GP surgeries at

For information regarding the vaccinations you should have prior to going to university, go to or contact the practice.

 If you move to a new location

If your're moving it’s a good idea to register with a GP surgery near your new location.  If there are several, you can find the contact details at  When you register you will be asked to fill in a registration form and may be asked for proofs of identity such as your passport or proof of address.

To find a local dentist, go to  Most dental practices do not accept NHS patients but only private ones.  You can ask friends, acquaintances, and reliable adults for recommendations.

If you are unwell but it is not an emergency, call 111 for free advice 24/7.

There are times when you may feel more comfortable talking to particular GP practice staff.  You can always request an appointment with your preferred clinician.

If you can suggest further subjects or links that would make this information more complete and useful please contact us at or 01394 615500  

Taking full advantage of the National Health Service

You have a legal right to choose a local GP practice that best suits your needs. Try comparing GP practices according to facilities, services, access and performance before you decide. Ask friends, relatives and others you trust for their thoughts and recommendations.

The GP practice must accept you unless there are reasonable grounds to refuse you. These must not relate to race, gender, social class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, disability or a medical condition. It must also give you in writing the reasons for any negative decision.

 A GP practice may decline to register you if:


  • it has no capacity to take on new patients;
  • it is not accepting patients that do not live in its practice area;
  • in your own circumstances, they feel that it may be better to find a practice that is closer to where you live.


GP practices in England are free to register new patients who live outside their practice boundary area.  It is for a practice to decide whether and when to do so.


For more information, read W:


SystmOnline services is a facility provided by the practice clinical record system.   Your parents or guardians had access to your online record, but as of your 16th birthday that ceases. You will need to come in and ask to set up your own account.  Once you have access you will be able to book or cancel appointments with us, order repeat prescriptions, and to view your clinical records held about you by the surgery.  You can check test results, review your medications, and check your immunisations.


To register, just come in to the surgery with your proofs of identity.  The receptionist will give you a form to fill in and sign.  You will then be given details of your new Username and Password.  You can then log in and familiarise yourself with the website.  You will be prompted to change the password you are issued to something more memorable.  As with many other websites, it is smart to keep that information as a secret.



All information in your medical record is safe and protected including anything you tell us, whatever is written down, and details of any diagnosis and treatment.  You can request to see your health records at any time just ask the practice manager at the surgery.

If you are uneasy about visiting the surgery, please let the receptionist know.  We can arrange for you to have an early or late appointment or to avoid having to sit in the waiting room.

For information about whether your confidential patient information can be anonymised for use for research and planning, you can telephone 0300 303 5678 or go online to



 General health information


The NHS web site goes into every health aspect of health care in up-to-date detail from A to Z. Some topics have video information.  Go to W: - information and useful links to a range of subjects.



Be a blood donor from age 17 onwards.  See details.


Healthy lifestyle services - Suffolk County Council has a website that gives much information on local health services.


Ipswich and East Suffolk Clinical Commissioning Group (IESCCG) is the main NHS entity from which funding and supervision of Framfield House flow.  Go to This is a website that is easy to use and offers a very wide range of information on just about everything you want to know about health and health care.


Mental health


Alcohol abuse and addiction information is well covered by  


Anna Freud Centre for Children and Families has been providing psychological services for over 60 years.

T: 020 7794 2313. E:


Bullying or trolling and being trolled - The Anna Freud Centre’s onmymind website is useful:


Bullying UK is a national charity with good advice for young people. T: 0808 8002222 W:

ChildHealth - Texting Service: confidential help about a range of issues, or make an appointment with a school nurse by sending a text message to 07507 333356.


Children and young people’s emotional wellbeing - information, advice and support are available at W:

T: 0345 600 2090 (Mon-Fri 8.00am to 7.30pm).


Childline - A well-established charity for young people under age 19, offering useful and sensitive advice. T: 0800 1111


County Lines - The Children’s Society website has a good section on the criminal exploitation of young people:


Drugs - One You is a clever and useful NHS web site about health and wellness.


Drugs - honest information about drugs: Talk to Frank - help and advice on illegal substances.   T: 0300 1236600

Exam pressure


Healthy Suffolk - the home of public health in Suffolk offers lots of useful information.


Mind - the mental health charity has an excellent website:


Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)  Good information on


OCDUK is a national charity offering information and advice:


Relationships - The Source is a Suffolk-focused service.

See also Family Relationships below.

Samaritans - Providing support to anyone in emotional distress. Call free 24/7.   On 116 123


Self-esteem - the opinion we have of ourselves.  You can find good information at


Self-harm - see your doctor at Framfield House for a confidential discussion.  Two helpful websites are, and


Suicide prevention - Papyrus is a national charity providing sensitive and helpful services for young people with suicidal thoughts  T: 0800 068 4141

Young people’s mental health - readable information about all aspects, with a good website:   T: 0800 8025544

Young people’s health project: 4YP - provides and co-ordinates services for young people in Suffolk aged 12-25. T: 01473 252607

Diet, weight, fitness, sleep, and well-being


Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculate your own BMI and find other information at


Eating Disorders - BEAT provides a wide range of help on its website:



Emotional Distress - Moodjuice is a Scottish NHS website which offers clever self-help assistance for young people with emotional problems


Emotional well-being - confidential information, advice and support is on  Suffolkinfolink’s website:


Also, a useful Suffolk-focused nhs website for young people feeling emotionally distressed.


Physiotherapy - If you have registered to manage your own care, you can self-refer to Allied Health Professionals Suffolk.  They provide NHS physiotherapy services for patients at Framfield House. T: 03330 433 966


Sleep problems - There is a wide range of information about sleep problems on the website.


Smoking is a website that furnishes specific help and encouragement for young people who wish to stop smoking.


Weight management - The NHS website provides multiple forms of help and information at:


Find advice and support for weight management at


Sexual and reproductive health


Local services and general information


Contraception - The NHS has a full guide on its website:


Contraception services at GP surgeries, including Framfield House, are free and confidential.


Gay Identity - Switchboard is a long-established service for LGBTQ+ people. It provides help and support through its website:    

Text messaging available.  You can text to 0300 330 0630


It Gets Better is a charity that enables LGBTQ+ young to know their worthiness and power as individuals.


Just like Us is another charity empowering LGBTQ+ people from the classroom into their careers.


Outreach Youth is a Suffolk group dealing with a range of LGBTQ+ issues and gender identities.  W:

 The LGBT Foundation provides a help line and a website at

The helpline is on 03453 30 30 30.


Transgender information can be found at Gender Trust.

HIV/Aids - the Terrence Higgins Trust provides service and advice nationwide.


Integrated Contraception and Sexual Health (iCASH) is a local NHS service working with the Terence Higgins Trust, offering NHS self-test kit and advice and more.


The National Aids Trust provides support and advocacy about HIV and Aids through its website:

Rape and Sexual Violence - Suffolk Rape Crisis is a service for girls and women experiencing or fearing rape and sexual assault.


Preventative health


 Diabetes - learn to live well with diabetes



Social media concerns See ‘Bullying’ section above.


Family relationships

 Confidentiality If you are anxious to keep certain matters private,  see, or come in to Framfield House to speak with your doctor.  There is advice about data protection available at T: 0300 303 5678.

 Family or domestic violence T: 0800 1111.

 Young carers - support for young people who are formal or informal carers for ill or disabled family members is available at  or Telephone 01473 835430.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website